Saturday, August 1, 2009

Please don't forget your motherland

In 2005, almost fifty years after he left Oxford, Mr. Lakshman Kadirgamar's portrait was unveiled at the Oxford Union. This was a great honour bestowed by the Oxford Union on only 15 others in its 183 year history.

Mr Kadirgamar had this to say about that event;'......I would like to, if I may, to assume that I could share the honour with the people of my country, Sri Lanka .

I had my schooling there, my first university was there, I went to Law College there and by the time I came to Oxford as a postgraduate student, well, I was relatively a matured person. Oxford was the icing on the cake … but the cake was baked at home ......(applause) .'

Lakshman Kadirgamar

This is indeed true. People appreciate only the icing on the cake not where it was baked first.

Please don't forget your motherland

No comments:

Post a Comment